Guidance for the aviation sector
Why take action?
Regulators, investors and consumers are placing increasing pressure on the sector to take action on climate change. Science-based targets to reduce greenhouse gas emissions enable companies to demonstrate concrete sustainability commitments to increasingly-conscious consumers.
How to set a target
Based on best practices for science-based target-setting, our guidance outlines:
- The extent of the CO2 emissions reductions companies to make
- The speed at which they need to do it
The Guidance and Target Setting Tool is for passenger and cargo airlines, as well as companies that use aviation services.
Become a leader in aviation sustainability by setting a science-based target:
The Aviation Science-Based Target Setting Guidance was developed by the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF) on behalf of the yobet娱乐app initiative (SBTi), with support from the International Council for Clean Transportation (ICCT) and Boston Consulting Group (BCG).
A Technical Working Group of dedicated experts from the aviation industry and NGOs provided detailed input at key milestones during the planning phase and on the various drafts of the guidance and tool.
- April 2020: Project started
- December 2020: WWF carried out a public consultation, enabling the aviation sector to feedback on setting science-based targets
- January-February 2021: WWF incorporated feedback from the Technical Working Group and broader stakeholder group that participated in the public consultation
- February 2021: The guidance went into an internal review process led by the Science Based Target Steering Committee
- August 2021: WWF and the SBTi team launched the final guidance