Guidance for the aluminium sector
Why take action?
The aluminium sector has an important role to play in the transition to a net-zero economy. According to the International Aluminium Institute (IAI), the aluminum sector contributes more than 1 gigatonne of carbon dioxide equivalent (Gt CO2e) to annual global GHG emissions (roughly 2% of total anthropogenic emissions globally), and demand is rising.
How to set a target
Aluminium companies can already set science-based targets (SBTs) by following our step-by-step process.
Yet, companies in the sector face a number of challenges in setting SBTs.
The yobet娱乐app initiative (SBTi) is working on a project with the International Aluminium Institute (IAI) to identify barriers and opportunities for science-based target setting, as well as options for next-generation resources. The project will use a Sectoral Decarbonization Approach (SDA) and is looking at possible alternatives to the International Energy Agency (IEA) pathway.
We need aluminium companies on board, committed to sustainability and creating a climate-secure world. If you’re looking to become an industry leader in the fight against climate change, get in touch.
In 2019, the yobet娱乐app initiative (SBTi) launched a project to lay a foundation for the development of tools and guidance to enable aluminium sector companies to set SBTs.
World Resources Institute (WRI) is the managing SBTi partner, working in collaboration with the International Aluminium Institute (IAI) and Aluminium Stewardship Initiative (ASI) to engage sector experts to identify the challenges and opportunities to setting and achieving SBTs and options for next-generation resources.
Financial support for this project is generously provided by the Alcoa Foundation.
The first phase of this project is focused on identifying challenges for aluminium sector companies to apply the Sectoral Decarbonization Approach (SDA) and possible alternatives to the IEA pathway, and recommending specific tools and guidance for aluminium sector companies to set SBTs.
Highlights of the project development process to date:
- January 2020: Published a memorandum, Understanding and Addressing the Barriers for Aluminum Companies to Set Science-Based Targets, which provides a detailed discussion of the existing and perceived barriers for the aluminum sector to set SBTs, and next steps for how leaders in the sector can improve existing data and low-carbon scenarios for the aluminum industry.
- September 2019: In collaboration with the Aluminum Stewardship Initiative, on September 27, WRI hosted a workshop in Cambridge, UK to explore share and gather feedback on a revised GHG reduction pathway for the aluminum sector, discuss how to apply this revised pathway to the ASI carbon standard and other benchmarks, and explore how the sector can collaborate to drive emissions reductions in line with the new pathway.
- March 2019: Hosted a workshop at the TMS 2019 Annual Meeting & Exhibition in San Antonio, Texas.
- January 2019: The project was launched with an online webinar. Watch a recording.
- Understanding and Addressing the Barriers for Aluminum Companies to Set Science-Based Targets by the yobet娱乐app
initiative (January 2020)
Browse more sectors
If your sector is not listed here, you can still set a science-based target using our methods and resources. Consult the step-by-step guide to get started.